Are you facing crashes before the introductory video while trying to launch Age of Empire 4? Unable to launch the game? There can a few reasons why you are facing such an issue. However, troubleshooting the launch problem in the game should be easy. Read this article to know how to find out the root cause and eliminate it. After all, it is our favourite real-time strategy game!
Age of Empires 4 (IV) crashing before intro video, not launching & working: How to fix it?
Try the following workarounds/fixes:
1) Check for pending Windows updates.
Firstly, make sure that there are no pending Windows updates. Pending Windows updates may cause the game to show a System Failure error. Sometimes, Windows releases essential patches that require immediate downloading. It may seem like you are on an up-to-date version of the OS, but make sure there aren’t any extra patches waiting for your attention. Also, please restart your device after installing any updates. Now, try launching Age of Empires 4.
2) Try updating Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables manually and restart your PC.
You can re-download the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables from the official Microsoft page. Scroll down and open the Other tools, frameworks, and redistributables drop-down menu and select the file according to the system architecture you have. Looking for direct download links? If you are using a 64-bit Operating System, download the vc_redist.x64.exe file. If you are using a 32-bit Operating System, download the vc_redist.x86.exe file.
3) Add Age of Empires 4’s .exe file to the Allow List of Windows anti-virus
Add the game to the allow list of Windows Defender, Security, and Controlled Folder Access. Perform the steps below for the same –
Windows Controlled Folder Access
1. Search for and open “Controlled Folder Access” from the Windows Search Bar
2. Click Allow a program
3. Locate RelicCardinal.exe from among the recently blocked programs
4. Select allow program
1. Search for an open “Windows Security” from the Windows Search Bar.
2. Go to Settings > Protection History.
3. Locate RelicCardinal.exe from among the recently blocked program.
4. Click Actions > Allow
1. Search for and open “Control Panel” from the Windows Search Bar.
2. Go to System & Security > Allow an app through Windows Firewall.
3. Locate the RelicCardinal.exe from the list of apps. If not listed, click Allow another app, then locate RelicCardinal.exe.
4. Checkmark both Private and Public settings.
5. Click OK
If you use third-party anti-virus software, you will need to make the necessary changes accordingly – check your anti-virus settings to see whether the game is blocked. You can also disable the program before launching the game.
Also Read: Age of Empires 4 (IV) System Failure error: How to fix it?
4) Update your Graphics and Audio Drivers
Check to see whether your graphics and audio drivers are updated. If you have drivers of older version, it is likely the reason behind the launch issues in Age of Empires 4. You will need to download the official app for your graphics drivers to check for updates and trigger them manually.
5) Check whether your PC has DirectX 12 and a compatible GPU
Are you seeing a gray screen before the game crashes? Well, then it is likely a DirectX 12 or GPU issue. To play Age of Empires 4 without annoying interruptions like these, you will need to have DirectX 12 and a compatible GPU. You can easily check for these – type dxdiag in the search bar of Start Menu and press Enter. It will open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool where you can check for the DirectX version and the GPU of your system. The minimum GPU requirement is Intel HD 520 or AMD Radeon RX Vega 11.
If you are still unable to get rid of the crashes, we suggest you contact the official Support of Age of Empires 4 from here. For more articles on Age of Empires 4, stay tuned to Androidgram!