Facing annoying lags, low FPS, and high ping issues in Age of Empires 4? The popular real-time strategy video game can run on any PC meeting the minimum technical requirements. But, you will need to tweak a few internal settings to ensure smooth performance and good in-game FPS. If you are facing lags, stutters, or an error dialog box specifying issues with settings, read this article to try a few troubleshooting techniques.
Age of Empires 4 (IV) lag, stuttering, low FPS, high ping issues: How to fix it?
Try the following fixes –
Set Graphics Specification to use best or high performance.
If your system features more than one GPU, it is possible that the game is using the lower one. This can be changed via system settings. Try performing the following according to your platform and relaunch Age of Empires –
1) Open Steam, open Library, and look for Age of Empires 4.
2) Secondly, right-click on the game and select Manage and then Browse Local Files.
3) A file explorer window will open. Highlight the file pathway and copy it.
4) Open Windows Start menu and search for Graphics Settings. Open it and click Browse.
5) A file explorer window will open again. Paste the copied file pathway into the file pathway field.
6) Now, select the game’s executable application (RelicCardinal.exe).
7) Once done, the application will show up on the Graphics Settings page.
8) Now, click Options. Change the graphics preference in the pop-up window to High Performance.
9) Now, Save the changes.
1) Open Windows Start menu, search for Graphics Settings, and open it.
2) Now, change the dropdown option from Desktop App to Microsoft Store App.
3) Select Age of Empires 4 from the second dropdown.
4) Now, click on Add.
5) Once done, the application will show up on the Graphics Settings page.
6) Now, click Options. Change the graphics preference in the pop-up window to High Performance.
7) Now, Save the changes.
Lower in-game Graphics Settings
After you change the in-game settings, please restart Age of Empires 4 –
1) Select the Gear Icon in the bottom-right to open in-game Settings.
2) Navigate to the Graphics tab from the left-side menu.
3) Now, lower a few settings – Image Quality, Lighting Quality, Texture Detail, Geometry Detail – and see if they improve the situation. Save changes.
4) Next, restart Age of Empires 4.
Temporarily Disable One Drive Syncing
According to the developers, some of the Age of Empires 4 game files will be stored in the following path – Documents > My Games > Age of Empires IV. Usually, One Drive syncs files from the Documents folder by default. So, if the syncing happens while you are playing the game, you may face performance issues and lags. To temporarily disable syncing –
1) Left-click on the OneDrive icon in the taskbar.
2) Next, click on Help & Settings.
3) Now, choose Pause Syncing.
4) Select a timeframe that suits you.
5) Now, launch the game and see if performance issue persists.
Game Optimization Tips
Try the following official tips to optimize Age of Empires 4 –
1) Play on the smaller map with a low population.
2) Close all background applications before launching the game.
3) Troubleshoot your network – restart your router, use a wired connection, try a different ISP.
For more tips, visit this link.
For more articles on Age of Empires 4, stay tuned to Androidgram!