Valheim is getting a lot of hype lately due to its gameplay, graphics, and multiplayer functionality. However, some players are getting incompatible version errors in the game. Moreover, this error is causing trouble for both kinds of players: The host and the one who wants to join a server. This may happen because, with some recent updates, not all parts of the game are updating. The Valheim incompatible version error occurs on your PC when the server detects that your version of Valheim is not up-to-date. Ironically, this error occurs when you update your game. So, how to fix the Valheim version error on your device? Is there a fix possible for both the host and the player who wants to join a server? In this article, we will thoroughly discuss how to fix the Valheim incompatible version error so that you can run your game smoothly.
Also read: How to update Valheim Dedicated server
How to fix Valheim incompatible version error?
The main downside of the Valheim incompatible version error is that you cannot join or host games and play with friends. This error does not occur when only you are playing the game or as in the single-player mode. For example, if your friend is one of the hosts of a local server and you want to play with him, the error prevents you from doing so if you and friend’s Valheim versions are different. This can create trouble for you as you will not be able to play Valheim with your friend. Also, this error can surface in your game because the player who is hosting the server is suffering from the same error. Therefore, it becomes very necessary to fix this error to ensure smooth gameplay. In this article, we have two fixes for you that will solve the problem of the Valheim incompatible version error.
Method 1) Updating the game: Since one of the prime reasons this error occurs is the version incompatibility of your Valheim game files, the first thing you’ll have to do is make sure that your game is up-to-date. To do that, you can take the following steps:
1) Open the Steam client.
2) Go to the library section of Steam where all the games reside. Now, find the game Valheim and right-click on it. After this, choose the Properties option.
3) Now, go to the Updates tab of the game. Here, you will see an option that says “Always keep this game updated”. After you select this option for your game, Steam will automatically update the game and prevent any kind of compatibility errors that might occur.
4) If there are still some updates pending for your game, you can go to the Downloads tab at the bottom of the screen. Here, you will see any updates for the game that need to be downloaded.
Method 2) Update the servers of the game via SteamCMD
If you are using a dedicated server in Valheim, you will be needing to update that server too when the game gets updated. Although the operation can come out as complicatedm you can follow these simple steps to get through to fix Valheim incompatible version error.
1) Download the Windows version of the SteamCMD file from here.
2) Once you download the zip file, extract its components on your PC.
3) Install the SteamCMD on your PC.
4) Now, you need to go to the installation directory of Valheim. To go there, you need to open the Steam Library. Now, find the Valheim game and right-click to find the Manage option. Here, you will see an option that says “Browse local files.” After that, create a new file using Notepad and update its name as “Update.bat”
5) Open this file and copy the following code- “[SteamCMD directory] + login anonymous + force_install_dir [Valheim installation directory] + app_update 896660 validate + exit” in the file. Now, save it.
6) Now, once your file is saved, run it on your PC.
Once you follow the above method, you will be able to eliminate the Valheim incompatible version error. For more news and updates on gaming and tech, do not forget to follow Androidgram.