Developed by Valve, Steam has been ruling the gaming industry’s distribution service for a while now. However, sometimes when you are using this service, you might come across some errors that might break the experience and cause frustration. Therefore, it is necessary to find a fix to these errors as soon as possible. One such issue is Error Code 118 in Steam. This error occurs when there is network disruption or poor network optimization in the system. Mainly, this error shows up when there is trouble with the app and the server connection. If the error is from the server’s side, the best thing you can do is wait for it to get over. However, by following these steps, you will be able to get through this specific error if the server is not the issue.
Also read: Steam error code 101: How to fix it?
Steam error code 118: How to fix it?
1) Check your internet connection: The first thing you can do is make sure that your internet connection is working properly. If your internet connection is slow/unreliable, you can try switching to a different network until your primary network is stable.
2) Allow Steam through the Firewall: Make sure that Steam is allowed through your Windows Firewall. Go to Control Panel> System and Security> Windows Firewall> Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall. From here, allow Steam for both Private and Public networks.
3) Update Windows: You can also update Windows to its latest version in order to make sure that your system is fully compatible with Steam. You can do this by going to Settings> Windows Update.
5) Check the servers of Steam: You can also check the servers of Steam and make sure that they are up and functioning. You can check the status of servers by going to third-party websites like Downdetector.
6) Turn off your anti-virus: You can try pausing or closing your anti-virus for a while. Once you close the anti-virus, you can open Steam. After that, you can resume the functioning of the Antivirus again once the application is running.
7) Troubleshoot network: You can go to Settings> System> Troubleshoot> Other troubleshooters. From here, select the run option in front of Internet Connection.
8) Update Steam: Make sure that you are running the latest version of the Steam app. You can go to the Steam option after opening the app which is in the top-left corner. Now, select the option that says, “Check for Steam client updates”.
9) Turn off the proxy servers: You can go to Internet options> Connections> Lan settings. Here, you will have to uncheck the option that says, “Use a proxy server for your LAN”.
10) Perform a network reset: You can lastly perform a network reset by going to Settings> Network and internet> Advanced network settings > Network reset. From here, select the option that says, “Reset now”.
By following these steps, you will be able to sort out the issue that the error code 118 in Steam. Also, do not forget to visit Androidgram for the latest updates in the world of tech and gaming.