Unable to play God of War PC? Running into issues like black screen and random crashes along with loading screens? According to reports, players have been facing some major and minor performance issues in the game since launch. To tackle that, the developers have released a few patches. As of January 20, 2022, most performance issues have already been addressed. However, if you are still facing an issue with God of War PC, this article will help you fix the problem. Keep reading.
First things first, we recommend you check whether your PC meets the minimum system requirements to run the game. Here are the details:
- Minimum: Intel i5-2500k (4 core 3.3 GHz) or AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (4 core 3.1 GHz)
- Recommended: Intel i5-6600k (4 core 3.5 GHz) or AMD Ryzen 5 2400 G (4 core 3.6 GHz)
- Minimum: NVIDIA GTX 960 (4 GB) or AMD R9 290X (4 GB)
- Recommended: NVIDIA GTX 1060 (6 GB) or AMD RX 570 (4 GB)
Minimum: 8 GB RAM
Recommended: 8 GB RAM
If you meet the recommended requirements, it’s time you try a few troubleshooting techniques. With that being said, let’s get on to fixing the game for you!
How to fix God of War PC black screen, crash, and stuck on loading screen issue?
Try these fixes/workarounds:
Update your graphics drivers
As you may already know, updating your graphics drivers is a common workaround that has a high success rate as well. You may be greeted with a black screen randomly or your game may crash frequently due to old graphics drivers. You can enable automatic updates if you already have a management application for your GPU like Geforce experience or AMD Radeon. Or, you can choose to update your graphical drivers manually via the Device Manager app. Open the Windows Start Menu, search for, and open Device Manager. Under Display Adapters, right-click on your graphics driver and select Update. Alternatively, you can choose to download the latest drivers manually from the Nvidia or AMD website.
Update God of War PC
The developers have released a few patches to improve the game’s situation. Make sure you have updated the game to its latest available version. You can check for the same via Steam.
Verify integrity of game files
If you are still facing performance issues, try verifying the integrity of Steam files. From the Steam Library, right-click on God of War PC and select Properties. Navigate to the Local Files tab, and select the Verify Integrity of Game Files… option.
Change to General Branch from Experimental Branch
From your Steam library, right-click on God of War PC and select Properties. Now, navigate to the BETAS tab. Change to none from the drop-down. Now, launch your game and check whether the issues persist.
Make sure that you are connected to a stable and fast internet connection
Troubleshoot your internet connection. Try restarting your router and modem to fix an unstable internet connection. You can also try a wired connection as it’s more stable. If you are unable to fix an issue with your internet connection, seek help from your ISP.
Try changing a few settings for performance
Follow these steps:
1) Open File Explorer.
2) Right-click on This PC from the navigation menu on the left. Now, select Properties.
3) Next, select Advanced system settings from the left menu.
4) Under the Advanced tab, you will see the Performance section. Select Settings under Performance.
5) Navigate to the Advanced tab. Under the Processor scheduling section, make sure you select Programs. Next, under the Virtual memory section, click on the Change button.
6) Deselect the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives option.
7) Now, in the drive list, select the drive which contains God of War PC.
8) Next, select the Custom size option. In the Initial size text box, enter the recommended value from the details given above the OK button. In the Maximum size text box, you will have to enter a calculated value depending on your RAM size. The value is 1024 multiplied by the size of your RAM. Say, if you have 16 GB of RAM in your system, multiply 16 with 1024 and enter the result in the Maximum size text box.
9) Once done, click on Apply and then OK.
That’s it. God of War PC should not be featuring any more black screen, crash, or loading issues. If you are still facing crashes while playing the game, report it using the in-game Crash Reporter that pops up. You can also report issues directly from here.