Another week, another snapshot for Minecraft Java edition. The recently released Nether Update is raging on in the Minecraft community and Mojang is preparing the game for the next major update. Which brings us to this week’s snapshot 20w28a which went online today. Let’s dig deep into the patch notes.
Snapshot 20w28a focuses majorly on introducing experimental support for custom biomes in data packs. In the words of the game developers,
This work has involved redoing some of the internal plumbing of things behind the scene so it might be a bit leaky.
In simpler words, bringing experimental support for custom biomes involved working on the core back end features. Thus, people who try this snapshot should expect some bugs here and there. So if it “gets leaky” or any important parts “drip out”, be sure to ping Mojang at Minecraft Issue Tracker. Let’s move on with this week’s changes.
Changes in 20w28a
Following are the general and technical changes brought by this week’s update :
- Villagers now emit green particles when joining a village, setting a home bed, or acquiring a job site/ profession
- Brewing stands can now be crafted with blackstone
- Tweaked bartering loot
- Totems of undying now give the fire resistance status affect for 40 seconds when activated
- Custom worlds now support custom biomes
- Dedicated servers can now rate limit clients
Customized world generation
- There is now experimental support for a worldgen folder in data packs
- worldgen/biome can contain biome definitions
- worldgen/configured_carver can contain definitions for world carver settings
- worldgen/configured_feature can contain definitions for feature placements
- worldgen/configured_structure_feature can contain definitions for structure placements
- worldgen/configured_surface_builder can contain definitions for surfaces
- worldgen/processor_list can contain sets of block processors
- worldgen/template_pool can contain pool definitions for jigsaw structures
- Custom biomes can now be used in the single biome/caves/floating islands world types (add the data pack containing the biome first)
- Custom biomes can now be used in custom dimension generators
Dedicated server packet limit
- Dedicated servers can now kick clients that consistently send too many packets within a second
- Controlled with the rate-limit settings in server.properties
- The default rate limit of 0 means “no limit”
Thus, these were all the changes and features included in this week’s snapshot 20w28a. For bug fix report and more visit the official Minecraft website.