Every Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl player wants a shiny starter Pokemon right now! They are difficult to get hold of but extremely worth the grind. If you are wondering how to catch a shiny starter Pokemon for yourself, we are here with a tutorial just for you! But, if you have already chosen a starter Pokemon and went ahead with it in the game, we are sorry to say that you have lost your chance. However, if you are planning to start the game now, keep reading this article to know to catch your very first shiny Pokemon in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl.
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl: Setup to find a shiny starter Pokemon
First, launch the game on your Nintendo Switch and complete the basic process – choosing appearance and naming your character and your friend’s character. As you play through the story, your friend will take you to a location called the Verity Lakefront to find your first Pokemon – your starter Pokemon! Now, before heading into Verity Lakefront, you will have to make a few changes in the in-game Options –
1) Set Text Speed to Fast.
2) Scroll down and find the Autosave setting. Turn it OFF.
Note: Turning off Autosave is really important before heading into Verity Lakefront to find your starter Pokemon. If you don’t, your game will show autosaved content after you reset the game trying to find your shiny Pokemon.
Also Read: Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Starters explained
How to find a shiny starter Pokemon in the game?
Once you are done with the above, you will be asked to save your Pokemon Adventure in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl. Again, you must save your progress outside the forest. If you enter Verity Lakefront forest without saving these settings, you will not be able to modify anything later and will lose the chance to get a Shiny Pokemon.
Now, after you save your adventure, follow these steps:
1) Enter the Verity Lakefront forest to continue your adventure.
2) You will now be greeted by the Professor and told a story. You may choose to skip through the story or sit through it.
3) In the end, you will receive a suitcase containing three Pokeballs. You will be given the option to choose from three available starter Pokemons – Turtwig, Chimchar, and Piplup. Choose the one you want a shiny counterpart of.
4) You will now be shown a battle animation at the end of which you will know whether you got a shiny Pokemon or not. If you don’t see a shiny Pokemon, don’t worry – it won’t be that easy to find one. Hit the Home button on your Switch and close the game.
5) Now, relaunch Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl, and you will spawn near the Verity Lakefront.
All you have to do is keep repeating the above steps until you find your shiny starter Pokemon. According to reports, the full odds for grabbing a shiny starter Pokemon in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl is 1/4096. So, you are going to have to spend a lot of time (hours). But, fans say that the trouble is worth it!