WhatsApp is a free-to-use instant messaging app, owned by Meta Platforms, Inc. (previously known as Facebook, Inc.). Other than texting, users can send voice messages, share media and live location, and even video/audio call each other. You can also upload a Whatsapp Status – as we do on Facebook or Instagram. Unfortunately, many users reported having to deal with bad picture quality when uploading a video/image on WhatsApp Status. Facing a similar situation and wondering what’s wrong? Read this article to find out the reason and possible solutions.
Why Does Picture Quality Decrease While Uploading A Whatsapp Status?
Here are the possible reasons why the picture you uploaded on WhatsApp Status looks gloomy:
1) WhatsApp uses an image compression algorithm. This algorithm is applicable to both – sending images via chat or uploading them as status. This is done to ensure that users are able to access Status as easily as possible even on restricted data limits.
2) WhatsApp can send images, videos, documents, or any file of up to 16 MB in size. However, those files will be subjected to compression before they are sent to another chat or Status. According to some reports, Whatsapp compresses all files to 200 KB before sending/uploading them.
How to upload an HD picture on WhatsApp Status?
While there is no official way to do so because of WhatsApp’s messy compression algorithm, users across the internet still manage to upload high-quality images using some workarounds. Below mentioned are a few tricks to achieve it:
FACT: Uploading through WhatsappWeb still compresses the images.
1) Don’t Forward The Image To The Whatsapp Status
Some users suggest using the Send to… option rather than Forward to…. While this method is not confirmed to work, you can still try it as it is heavily recommended by a lot of users. Follow these steps:
1) Firstly, send the image [the one you want to upload to your Whatsapp Status] to your friend on Whatsapp chat.
2) Now, press and hold the image on your friend’s chat window and tap on the three dots [top right].
3) Select Share. Next, select Whatsapp from the list of apps under Share. Select the option that says My Status [under Send to… window]. That’s it – the image will now be uploaded to your WhatsApp Status.
2) Compress The Photo Yourself.
You might have heard of apps like Alight. This app is used to alter the image qualities manually. However, it will not blur the images. This method is applicable for both images and videos. To compress the video using a third-party app, follow the given steps:
1) Open a third-party app you use for compressing images.
2) Select the required image.
3) Select the resolution. You must keep Whatsapp’s image size limit in mind. For Whatsapp Status images, try a resolution of 750×1334 px [recommended by users].
4) Choose the compression limit [recommended: 200 KB]. Wait for the application to process the file and then click on Save.
5) From your WhatsApp, open the photo’s location and upload the photo.
3) Upload the image to Instagram Story first.
This method has been suggested by a lot of users. For this, you must have an Instagram account. Follow the steps given below:
1) Install Instagram and create an account using either your number or email account if you don’t have an Instagram account.
2) Swipe right from the home page. The story-creator section will appear. Swipe up to open the gallery.
3) Select the desired image [the image you want to upload to your WhatsApp Status later] and set it in the frame in the way you prefer. You can also add texts and stickers.
4) When you are done, click on the download button to save the edited story in the gallery.
5) Go to your Gallery, select the saved image and Send it directly to Whatsapp Status.
Now that you know the tricks, you can also upload high-resolution media on your Whatsapp and stand out. If you want more fixes and Workarounds for different technical apps, visit Android Gram.