Activision’s Call of Duty is a first-person shooter video game franchise. It is one of the most well-known and well-established video game franchises of all time. The Call of Duty franchise grossed over $3 billion last year, and there are presently over 15 titles in the series. It began in 2003 with the focus on World War II-themed games. And, now series has featured games that were set during the Cold War, future planets, and outer space.
Call of Duty Titles Explained
The Call of Duty games is divided into three categories. The first category consists of the first three games – Call of Duty 1, 2, and 3. Following that, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare marks the beginning of a new sub-series. And then, finally, there’s the Call of Duty: Black Ops series, which began with Call of Duty: World At War and has then expanded to COD: Black Ops 1,2,3,4, and Cold War.
In its nearly two-decade career, Call of Duty has been on a wild ride. We’ll go through each Call of Duty game that has ever been released in this post.
Call of Duty Games
1) Call of Duty which was released in 2003 was the first game in the COD franchise. It focused on the events of World War II.
2) Call of Duty 2, released in 2005, was the second release of the franchise and the continuation of the first Call of Duty game.
3) Call of Duty 3 was the final installment of the first COD series. It was released in 2006.
4) In 2007, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was released. It broke away from the World War II setup and was the first COD game to be set in the modern world.
5) Call of Duty: World at War was produced by Treyarch. It was released in 2008
6) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, released in 2009, is the direct follow-up to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, with the same plot and gameplay.
7) Call of Duty: Black Ops is the sequel to Call of Duty: World at War and is the seventh major Call of Duty game. It is the third main Call of Duty game produced by Treyarch.
8) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is the third and last installment in the original Modern Warfare series, and it’s the sequel to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.
9) Call of Duty: Black Ops II was released in 2012 and is the best-performing COD title in terms of sales to date.
10) Call of Duty: Ghosts brought the popular playable dog character – named Riley – to the fight.
11) Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare was released in 2014. It was the first jetpack COD game.
12) Call of Duty: Black Ops III was the third installment to the Black Ops series.
13) In Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, the player (protagonist) leads the surviving coalition troops against a determined opponent while attempting to endure the lethal, severe elements of space, set right before a devastating strike on Earth.
14) Call of Duty: WWII – a 2017 release – marks the series’ return to the original popular setting: World War II.
15) Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 introduced the battle royale genre to the franchise.
16) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare – a 2019 release – is still a very popular COD title.
17) Call of Duty Warzone is one of the series’ most popular titles and is of the Battle Royale genre.
18) Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is a direct sequel to the original Call of Duty: Black Ops and is set in the early 1980s.
19) Call of Duty: Vanguard is the most-recent addition to the COD family.
Other than these main releases, COD had other releases too. A few of them were:
1) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Mobilized
2) Call of Duty Online
3) Call of Duty: Zombies, and
4) Call of Duty: Mobile